July is one of my favorite months. I love celebrating the 4th of July and pioneer day on the 24th. I’m a history geek so I try to expose my children to as much historical goodness as I can. From learning about our pioneer heritage to celebrating the freedom of our country, there is so much to do this month! I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite family-friendly activities in Utah to help celebrate the 4th of July and the 24th of July.
1. Freedom Festival in Provo, Utah. Provo is the place to be for the 4th of July. Stadium of Fire is always a favorite with the big-name entertainment as well as plenty of local talent. I’ve only been once, but it was the year Brad Paisely sang and it was fantastic! However, some of the lesser-known Freedom Festival activities are actually at the top of our list of family traditions in July.
2. Colonial Heritage Festival in Provo, Utah. I came across this free four-day event at Scera park by accident one year and it has been a favorite ever since. My kids love traveling back in time with the interactive exhibits.
From attending Colonial School to spinning yarn, we easily spend at least half a day at the Colonial Fest. Be sure to take some cash for the homemade bread and cookies!
It’s always fun to see the kids doing the children’s chores, too!
3. Balloon Fest in Provo, Utah was our very first new 4th of July tradition. It is a fun way to start your day early! We typically go on the 2nd or 3rd. Be sure to get there before 6:30 am so that you can see the balloons being filled up. The launch happens pretty quickly so you want to be on time. We take a picnic breakfast and chairs.
4. Fireworks! We like to mix it up with community firework shows (so excited for Fiesta Days in Spanish Fork!) and our own fireworks with family and neighbors. This year we are trying something new – Provo Fireworks. Did you know that you can have your fireworks delivered to your home in Utah County for only $5 or free with an order over $100? For this Amazon Prime loving mom – that is music to my ears! You order online and either have the fireworks delivered or you can pick them up in Provo. Such a great variety and the owner offers a no-dud guarantee! I’m getting minethis week and will let you know how it goes! Check out this video for more information – I love supporting local businesses!
5. Days of 47 Float Preview Party – Sandy, Utah. Growing up, I loved getting up early and going to parades downtown with my family. As a mom of littles, that just doesn’t work out for us anymore. I was thrilled to discover a different way to experience the floats with my children – the float preview party! Each year we head to the South Towne Expo Center and get up close and personal with the floats. All the floats are on display and many of them have interactive elements to engage and entertain the children. This is when the public votes on their parade favorites, so the float owners pull out all the stops! We still watch the Days of 47 parade on TV, but from the comfort of home. The kids have fun trying to spot their favorite floats from the preview party.
Just typing up this post has me giddy for all the fireworks and excitement this month! If you are looking for things do in Utah this month with your family – be sure to add these events and activities to your calendar!
What are your favorite 4th of July traditions?
Do you celebrate the 24th of July?
This post is sponsored by Provo Fireworks. All opinions and ideas are my own. I love sharing events and products that my family loves!